While the Page Rank of most directories has dwindled, paid directory submissions still help with organic rankings, but only if certain conditions are met.
What to look for in a paid directory listing.
- The homepage has Page Rank – If the homepage of the directroy does not have any page rank, I would pass on the directory as it means one two things. Either the site has been devalued by the search engines, or it has been banned.
- Submit to Directories that have a high homepage Page Rank. The higher the Page Rank of the homepage the better indicitive that the site is an authority site. Here is a good list of paid directories.
- In order to gain anything from a directory listing… the page that will have your link must be indexed by the search engines. I personally check to see if the page I am submitting my site to is indexed by Google, Yahoo, and Bing. If the page is not indexed on all three engines, I pass.
How to optimize your directory listings
- Submit to categories where you are not pushed to a second page. Many directories are pretty full and if you get pushed to page 7 of a category it is not a good thing.
- Always try to get your keyword in the title of your site. The title of you site is the text used to link to your website… and getting your keywords in this link is huge. Many directories require you use your exact site name, and if you don’t have your keyword in your domain you are out of luck. But try anyway. Most directories will just edit your site name/title, or they won’t since they are busy. Go for it though.
What tpe of listing should I buy? Annually recurring, featured, or a one time fee?
- Well first off… don’t do the reciprical link option. You don’t want to be linking back to the directories as you will lose the benefit of having a one way link!
- Pass on the featured listings. The regular listings are on the same page and give the exact same link benefit. If you are hoping to get traffic from these directories you will be disappointed.
- Go with the one time fee listings. Like the ShowTime Grill guy says “Set it and Forget it!”. Always go with a permanent listings and plan on being in business for a long time on the web.
Some of my favorite directories:
If you would like custom SEO Services let us know and we will be happy to provide a detailed quote.